Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Driftwood - Watery Wednesday

Driftwood often connotes a negative image---directionless, no plans, floating, and yes, useless. Some would call it marine debris, garbage. And in some coastal areas, driftwood is a major nuisance. But what most of us don't know is that driftwood provides shelter and food for birds, fish and other marine species as it floats in the ocean. Driftwood that has been washed ashore also shelters birds, plants and other species, and can become the foundation for sand dunes. Decomposed driftwood is gradually reintroduced to the food chain.

I personally find driftwood interesting---the shapes crafted by the elements are a natural wonder, they're strange and wonderful. And they certainly enhance the beauty of this beach in Cagbalete Island.


In the Philippines, where artisans are continually in search for sustainable materials for decorative home accessories, furniture and other art forms, driftwood has been crafted into functional tabletops, and sculpted into amazing shapes.

a functional birdhouse
Align Centera life-size horse sculpted out of driftwood

Posted for Watery Wednesday

17 comments:

Ebie said...

I love drift wood. When I was a kid, everytime we go to be beach, we find these small items and bring them home and we coat them with lacquer and use for decoratives. I am glad that we encourage our cottage industry to do this kind of crafts, locally and for export to boost our economy. Thanks for sharing.

Maria Berg said...

For me drift wood is art.
Thank you for Lionel Richie song. Thank you for showing us all this nice photos and what other have done with the wood.

/MB

Photo Cache said...

I love home decors fashioned out of driftwoods. As a matter of fact my husband and I are on a look out for the perfect driftwood to be our coat hanger. We saw one selling for more money than we would like to pay. So why not walk by the water and scour the beach for some driftwood and just nail some hook, voila, coat hanger.

Photo Cache said...

Ooops, I played WW too, its here: www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

Ah, I just passed by yesterday some driftwoods for sale, just like that - they're selling it nowadays. :) Love that shot with the candles.

sunnymama said...

Lovely pictures of the driftwood on the beach, and the art is really cool!

witsandnuts said...

Wow, the horsecraft is interesting! I wonder how much that would be.

Anonymous said...

Very nic. Didn't know can make art of drift wood.

Carletta said...

I've always been a fan myself. I love that first shot!
The sculptures are terrific - talented artists.

My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

Hilda said...

Beautiful photos perfect for Watery Wednesday. But more than that, I love that you took the extra step for the educational information, both about driftwood's role in nature and about our crafts. Thank you.

NatureFootstep said...

what a great post you have. Personally I love driftwood. I love the raw and wild beauty of it. And now you show what the artists can do with it. Beautiful.

Nortehanon said...

Wow! Such beauties! Ang galing naman ng mga gumawa niyan. I especially like the horse.I love the details.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I've never seen much driftwood as I'm not on the beach that much but when I do see it I find it interesting too. I can see the artistic uses for it as well.

Tammie Lee said...

I also enjoy driftwood. The textures, shapes and many uses. Wonderful photo.

EG CameraGirl said...

I LOVE driftwood. The horse sculpture s absolutely amazing!

Anonymous said...

Wow Luna its great i liked the concept of birds nest...picture superbbb and quiet informative and resourceful....great keeping blogging ...bravo.let have such chain of knowledge and aharing info....

escape said...

amazing works of art. with just a piece of wood artists can go way way excellently with their imagination.