Sunday, June 7, 2009

Espresso yourself...

Black as the devil, Hot as hell, Pure as an angel, Sweet as love.
Surrendering to coffee is one of my life's pleasures, and sharing a cup of coffee with friends fills me with nostalgic sentiments. Sometimes a cup of coffee is more than just a cup of coffee. Its familiar taste and aroma can take one back to childhood, to a place of comfort where a mother, aunt or grandparent served up kindness along with a rich, steaming mug of barako.
I always believe that I was bottle-fed not with milk but with coffee when I was a baby. Coffee molecules stir up my blood, stimulate my mind, and warm my heart. And what's office and showbiz gossips would be like without cups of coffee being shared in the pantry?

I remember the air of quiet anticipation in my grandmother’s kitchen when I was a kid. Native coffee was brewing 24/7…aunts and uncles and their friends were having coffee at all times. Passionate debates took place at my grandmother’s dining table over mugs of hot, black coffee. Plans were concocted, ideas expounded, tempers cooled and fears were calmed. I loved the fever of it all---voices rose and dissolved into sounds of hot steaming liquid being drank, all punctuated by hums of conversations.

Lola Fanny served us kids with a lighter brew and not without a warning that strong coffee would stunt our growth. My brothers and younger cousins would add steamed rice into their coffee while my sister and I would dip pandesal into our mugs. The warmth and essence of my Lola’s espresso was one of my childhood’s flavorful indulgences.

Note: the photo is not mine

9 comments:

Zee said...

sarap naman nyan luna! hehehehe drooling talaga ako..l. love my cup of joe!

just jody said...

i'm with ya on this one.....coffee......it's a beautiful thing! nice post.

Glennis said...

Make mine a Mochachino and I shall sit and enjoy with you. Your expresso is a bit strong for me but it looks lovely.

iska said...

I love your coffee photo! And yeah... I could relate to your love affair with coffee :-)

mariposa said...

I love the coffee pic!

Mariposa's PhotoHunt

Oman said...

nowadays, my sister and i enjoy making fraps. and she sure makes a mean cookies and cream frap... better than starbucks or g jeans.

p.s. thank you so much for the advise/comment. it really means a lot.

Clarissa said...

I can relate your love for coffee coz I'm a lover of coffee,too! I love Doutor black coffee here in Japan,better than starbucks.

Thanks for dropping by and have a nice day to you!!^_^

escape said...

so that means that the coffee indulgence runs in the family. hmmm... nice.

bertN said...

It is not a "good morning" without a cup of steaming hot coffee and something to read while sipping it.