Monday, November 8, 2010

Grandpa's Inn [My World]

@ mirandablue
Grandpa's Inn was recommended to me by a friend in Laoag City.  I was looking for an affordable place to stay in Vigan that is near the Heritage Village and good restaurants.  This inn is at the perfect location in Vigan---it stands at the corner of Bonifacio Street and Quirino Boulevard, a mere 3-minute walk to Calle Crisologo.  The rates are affordable and there are good restaurants within the inn called Cafe Uno and Kusina Felicitas, serving authentic Ilocano cuisine.

@ mirandablue
The entrance to Grandpa's Inn is a brick hallway that leads to the reception area.  The bricks, I gathered, are the original bricks of the 18th century Spanish home of the Donato family.  This is the family's residential house that was converted into a 19-room inn in 1979.  There are curio items at the reception area like an old piano, a violin and trumpets, a couple of antique glass lamps, vintage telephones and brass vases and plates.

@ mirandablue
@ mirandablue
I wanted to experience one of their culturally-designed rooms, unfortunately, they had already been booked.  The inn has the Calesa Beds (horse-drawn carriage), Karison Beds (carabao-drawn farm carriage) and Pasagad Beds (farm sleds).  I was able to peep into the Calesa room and took this photo.  It looks like the calesa beds are only for people about my size...if you're taller than 5'2", you have to sleep in a fetal position.:p

@ mirandablue

Our room was on the 2nd floor, and the photo below is the living room area.  Most of the furniture here are antique, carved wood probably made from narra, combined with solihia (woven rattan).  The inn has a warm, welcoming ambiance of old homes and I was happy to note that there was no musky smell, and we didn't see any ghost!:p

@ mirandablue
@ mirandablue
Our room was cozy and comfortable.  I loved the carved wood headboard, the brick walls and wall-mounted capiz lamps.

@ mirandablue
Stairs to the ground floor/reception area.
@ mirandablue
The inn has a massage service, provides a tour guide for big groups and has free wi-fi.  Grandpa's Inn is a lovely place to stay in Vigan.  




Posted for My World-Tuesday

18 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the charm of this place very much! Thanks for the tour.

Plant Chaser said...

Thanks for taking us on the trip with you. I'll keep this place in mind for future trips. -- Bom @ http://www.plantchaser.com

Photo Cache said...

that's a great recommendation. i have doubts about the calesa beds though. i don't think they're sturdy enough.

but what charming place this is.

bertN said...

What are the going rates?

Jim said...

An interesting inn.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Sylvia K said...

What a delightful looking place!! I would love to stay there! Love all your photos, they really give a great feel for the rooms etc. Sounds as though you had a lovely visit! Hope your week is off to a great start!

Sylvia

Kay L. Davies said...

What a delightful place, and your photos are very good. I think I'd like to stay there, but not in one of those little beds! It's great that there are two restaurants in the inn, too.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

magiceye said...

elegantly classy....
loved the images!!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing place. Those beds on stilts are tiny!

Hilda said...

I love everything about it! We really need to schedule Vigan soon or I'll die of envy. We definitely cannot have kalesa beds though. ;)

Funny ka naman. The map is only a couple of hundred meters after the Lapu-Lapu statue. Right beside Taft already, and there's a Wendy's at the corner so you can rest, cool off and have merienda. ;)

LifeRamblings said...

the place looks inviting and beautiful but i don't think the beds can comfortably accommodate big-sized people.

Unknown said...

love the mini tour, beautiful images.

Anonymous said...

That looks a great place to stay.
Those beds are toooo tiny :) but cute...

Penelope Notes said...

Great photos, Miranda. Looks very inviting and a nice way to bring the past into the present. A ghost or two would have definitely added some spice to the experience, however! :)

Dimple said...

This is a charming place, thanks for showing me around!

Thanks also for coming into my world!

Ebie said...

Love those antique glass kerosene lamps. The place is so quaint. that's a beautiful awning in the first photo.

Anonymous said...

Never really explored the inn when we had breakfast there last year. Interesting but I don't think I'd be comfortable in that Calesa bed. :-P

Francisca said...

Oh, I just gotta go back to Vigan and stay here... just my kind of place... fab! (I'm still looking for your Silangang Nayon post - but having a great time seeing so many good posts I've missed... work is getting my full attention these days.)