Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ginger [Ruby Tuesday]

@ mirandablue
Been absent at Ruby Tuesday for quite awhile.  For a comeback, let me share this vibrant ginger flower with you.  Took these photos at the garden in Eastwood when I took my 4-year old nephew and Fritz to watch the dancing fountain.  It rained earlier that afternoon---droplets of rain still cling to the petals.  I was delighted when I saw this ginger flower...my grandmother had this plant in her garden and I used to bring the flowers to school.
Ginger is a rhizome of the perennial herb which is indigenous to the South west coast of India and the Malabar coast of the state of Kerala. Gingers, a multifaceted herb,enjoy a special position in the botanical kingdom with their elegance in form, texture, sparkling color, and amazing symmetry. The word ginger conjures up images of an exotic oriental food flavoring; however, edible ginger - Zingiber officinale, is only one of approximately 1,300 species of the very diverse Zingiberaceae family.  Source:  The Flower Expert

 Ginger @ mirandablue

Posted for Ruby Tuesday

23 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Great post for RT. This is another kind of ginger flower, You framed it so well.

 gmirage said...

:-O so pretty! I once own such a plant but it never bloomed until it died :D Not so green-thumbed hehe

-Gizelle

Liz said...

Beautiful capture of the ginger flower.

My RUBY link.

Photo Cache said...

this is a beautiful lily. i believe it belongs to the lily family.

Leora said...

I eat ginger root a lot; I had no idea there are many varieties of ginger flowers. Vibrant.

reg said...

The red here is incredible. I have grown Ginger but never managed to get it to bloom

Unknown said...

I never realized that the ginger root produced such a beautiful red flower!

Have a great week, Miranda!

My Ruby Post

Fashion Momma said...

Pretty and graceful!

eastcoastlife said...

I have a fascination with ginger flowers. They are so pretty.

Jama said...

So pretty! there's lots of them here.

eden said...

Beautiful ginger flower. Great shot.

Happy Ruby Tuesday.

Rajesh said...

Very pretty flower.

Unknown said...

Superb colors!
Never realized that even ginger flower can look this beautiful

:)

BHupesh

Elpi said...

pretty. . great photos
happy healh pad

Marites said...

beautiful capture!! i like it very much.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous flowers.

Rachel

escape said...

wow! i might run out of idea if ill participate this. hahaha...

i think we used to have this in my uncle's backyard.

Hootin Anni said...

That is so pretty, and may I say....'stately'?!!! Well, it is!!


LEGO art is my Ruby Tuesday today, hope you can stop by to join me!!

Unknown said...

nice shot, it comes more alive esp w/ the trickle of rain in it.

Yoshi said...

Great shots and ideal for Ruby Tuesday!! I wonder how it tastes...

KC said...

I cook with ginger every day but have never seen the flower. Thanks for sharing the beautiful images.

Mel_Cole said...

VEry pretty plant. I love the spoon shape foliage.

My Ruby Tuesday post here.

EG CameraGirl said...

Hmmm. I would love to grow this in my Canadian garden...but there's not a chance.