Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ruby Tuesday: homegrown

I'm busy as a bee, up to my eyeballs with work. Fortunately, I have some photos in my archive for Ruby Tuesday. Above is a red capiz vase from a showroom I visited, and below is a bunch of pale red anthurium in a bone china vase. Capiz, also called windowpane oyster (or lampirong in Ilonggo), is a marine mollusk found in shallow coastal waters in the Philippines. Its meat is edible, and the shells are semi-transparent, pearlized flat disks that can be molded into almost anything---from home decor to light fixtures, fashion accessories, bathroom panels and furniture. It is a versatile material and essentially, its design possibilities are virtually limitless.

Anthuriums are grown throughout the country, mostly in greenhouses with computerized fertigation facilities. The floriculture industry is rapidly growing and the increasing demand in the domestic market has attracted hobbyists to turn their hobbies into profitable business.

Posted for Ruby Tuesday

15 comments:

escape said...

perfect for ruby tuesday!

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

Luna, Thanks for visiting my RT. That glossy, shiny red vase is gorgeous, love the composition of the photo as well. :)

Anonymous said...

I love anthuriums .. beautiful flowers... and the vase is so vibrant,, come and take peek of my entry http://whenmomtalks.com/2009/02/ruby-shoes.html

Catherine said...

Luna Miranda, thanks to share your wonderful flowers. They both add an exotic atmosphere to your post. Your vase attracts the attention, we almost forget to look at the flowers : )

Becky said...

I love the red vase and the composition of that photo.

My RT is up. here, if you get a chance to stop by.

maryt/theteach said...

Those Anthurium are so pretty in lovely vases! Two excellent shots for Ruby Tuesday, Luna! :)

Gattina said...

Love the red vase ! would fit perfectly in my home !

Photo Cache said...

Oh my lordy, I love that vase. It's so hip.

Tink *~*~* said...

I am a shell collector, but I never knew that there were shells that could be molded into a vase. The things you learn playing Ruby Tuesday!

Tink *~*~*
NEW at My Mobile Adventures *~*~*: RED Signs at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Pia K said...

That vase is a stunner, I sure wouldn't mind having one or a few of them myself.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Good things I knew through your blog!

Sidney said...

Don't over work ! Life is not about work alone ! ;-)

Raven said...

Lovely photos... and I learned something new. That's always fun.

Carletta said...

Love the bright red vase!

Dianne said...

all beautiful vases