Friday, February 27, 2009

Food Friday: unforgettable

This dish is definitely not photogenic but what it lacks in presentation certainly makes up in flavor. Reason why I couldn't resist posting it---the flavor still lingers on my taste buds. This is one of the best ginataan dish I ever tasted, no kidding! It's ginataang pako with kuhol---in English, it's young fern with golden snail cooked in coconut milk, and in French (with feelings now!), escargot et fougere avec lait de coco (hehe imbento ko lang :D). I don't remember the last time I have eaten kuhol---it's not something we normally cook at home. Except for a relative in Negros who cooked a mean laing with kuhol when I was a kid, I couldn't remember my mother ever cooking kuhol. I was feeling adventurous that Saturday night so I went ahead and ordered the dish. I love pako salad and been curious at other pako dishes. This dish revealed that pako does not lose its crunch even when cooked. The coconut milk was sweet and perfectly spiced...the kuhol was surprisingly delicious and the texture of pako made the dish more interesting. This dish has even invaded my dreams---the other night, I dreamed of devouring ginataang pako with kuhol!

When you visit Lucban, check out the original Palaisdaan where this unforgettable dish is served.


Posted for Food Friday

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, looks really yummy! I love food with gata but never tried this one... nakakagutom, hehe...
happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

Sarap niyan! I like these kinds of food innfact I think I have that on one of my earlier FF entries :)

Race said...

ginataang kuhol is really delicious naman eh! my mom's native town in Laguna likes to cook fish and veggies in coco milk almost always, siguro kase coconut is very abundant there lol! nagutom ako ah!

Race said...

btw mine is up at http://my-crossroad.com/2009/02/food-friday-chicken-empanada.html

Zeee said...

Wow! Love the "invented title" pero I'm not sure if I will try the escargot...hehehe pero siguro if someone dares me I will try

Sidney said...

I like the snails cooked the french way with garlic butter in the oven... but this sounds good too... but it doesn't look too good ;-)

Anonymous said...

I also like pako salad but haven't tried it with ginataang kuhol. Must try.

♥peachkins♥ said...

uy,kumakain ako nyan...Sarap!

Mine's up here

have a great weekend !

iska said...

oh wow! sarap talaga yan. most of the time i call 'em escargots! mas maganda pakinggan hehehehe

Anonymous said...

wow ... that looks sooo good!
i haven't had kuhol in decades and the one that i had wasn't cooked in coconut milk. am sure this one tastes better!

thanks for playing again, Luna
happy weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

nakakalaway! nakaka-impatso ; D!

Anonymous said...

oh my! i can almost taste the coconut-y deliciousness of this!:) miss kuhol!

fortuitous faery said...

drool-worthy! anything with coconut milk is a sure hit for me!

Anonymous said...

are these the same snails you featured many posts ago?ü

kidding aside, favorite ko ito kapag sa probinsya. here in France, we have these little forks to made just to pick out the snailmeat inside, pero sa pinas, higop-higop lang!ü

Unknown said...

hi, bro. utoy! hindi higop-higop ang tamang term...sinusupsop!:D

Anonymous said...

i miss kuhol.

nice post.

http://greenpinas.blogspot.com/