Friday, February 20, 2009

Food Friday: Cocido


A close relative of Pochero, Cocido is a Spanish tomato stew with pork, Spanish sausages and vegetables. This dish brings back memories of my grandmother's home-cooking---rich, comforting and straightforward. I have vivid memories in my grandmother's kitchen---the delicious smells of garlic, onions and ginger, of steam coming out from the pot, the delicate way she sliced vegetables, her vibrant laughter, a cigarette hanging from her lips, the graceful sway of her hips while cooking and humming a long-forgotten song. My mother told me that my grandmother learned her way in the kitchen from their family cook. She was a child-bride and when her husband (my grandfather who died when my mother was 8 months old) was napping or out of the house, my grandmother would tiptoe to the kitchen and observe the cook. As her interest in cooking grew, the old cook taught her how to appreciate and prepare great-tasting food that her family came to enjoy.

My bowl of cocido was served at Abe-Serendra where you can find home-cooked meals in a classier set-up and good value for money. The restaurant is always full and they don't accept reservations, so be there a bit early.

Posted for Food Friday

6 comments:

 gmirage said...

I really like pochero, especially me saba...nd anything meat with tomato sauce, kaso di ako marunong lol! I'd love to have that dish with you sometime! ;)

Anonymous said...

I love Abe's crispy tadyang. Sarap. But will have to try this one too next time.

Zeee said...

Wow! I love pochero but I admit that I haven't tried cocido. Like you my grandmother made a mean pochero...hehehe :D

Anonymous said...

That bowl of cocido looks really good, makes me wanna grab a plate of hot rice. Picture pa lang ulam na! And a great story about your grandma :-)

Anonymous said...

i have been reading about cocido and would love to try it! love your story about your grandma ... :)

thanks for playing again, Luna
so sorry sa late visit ...

happy weekend! :)

Sidney said...

Oh, yes... you could invite all your blog visitors in Abe-Serendra !
Of course we will pay for our own meal.