Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Red blooms at The Tamarind Tree - Ruby Tuesday

When I was a kid, we called this red flower pepsi-pepsi---I have no idea why. But I remember the sweet nectar we sipped from these flowers. Definitely, it didn't taste like Pepsi but I guess the thrill of discovering its sweet nectar made us associate this flower with the famous soft drink. It was a delight to see patches of blooming red pepsi-pepsi at The Tamarind Tree, a resort we stayed in Padre Burgos on Labor Day weekend.

Another patch of pepsi-pepsi infront of the resort's biggest cottage. If you're wondering, this cottage can accommodate up to 15 persons. Like the rest of the huts in the resort, this cottage was constructed using bamboo and pandan leaves---it was cool and airy.
The Tamarind Tree was full when I called on Thursday night so I took my chances and booked a tent. Because it was a rainy day, the resort staff who put up the tent did the right thing by assembling it on the boat-house. It rained on our first night and we slept through it.

If you'd like to experience traditional rural life with a touch of modern conveniences, you'd enjoy staying in this resort. It offers a no-smoking, no-alcohol environment in a low-carbon setting. My 3 companions are all smokers, and they had to bear the inconvenience of stepping out of the gate to enjoy their vitamins. A white sand beach, clean facilities, great value meals, peace and quiet (except for a night of videoke party), and a great starting point to explore nearby coves and islets along Tayabas Bay.

the happy campers - Franz, moi and Sally


Posted for Ruby Tuesday

17 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Looks like a wonderful time and place.

Sardonyx said...

Nice resort and looks pretty neat too, where is Padre Burgos by the way?

Sidney said...

Did you sucked all the nectar from he resort's pepsi-pepsi?

Wow...you are indeed a happy camper!

Unknown said...

Sidney, i prefer beer nowadays (lol)! and i didn't want to ravage the plant, the resort owner might kick me out.:D

thanks for droppin' by. welcome back!

Unknown said...

hi, sardonyx! Padre Burgos is the first town in the Bondoc Peninsula, that's in Quezon.

yeah, it's a nice resort...thanks for visiting.

Photo Cache said...

Hah, another blast from my past. I remember that flower. I don't recall what it's name was or if I ever knew what it was. Yes we did suck the juice too. OMG, someone tell us what this flower is quick.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

That looks like a good way to put up a tent away from the moist ground.

Melli said...

Ohhhh Looks like a good time is being had! I've seen those flowers before - but I don't know WHAT we call them here! I didn't know you could suck their nectar. We only do that with Honeysuckle!

Oman said...

looks like you really had a great time.

fun company + fun place = one ungorgettable experience

Marie Reed said...

pepsi-pepsi is definitely a name I'll never forget for this flower now!

Gemma Wiseman said...

O this looks a wonderful place to stay! And love the smiling faces in the last photo!

RA said...

What a great way to spend your vacation! I love the pepsi-pepsi flowers. Have a great day, Miranda :)

eastcoastlife said...

I like this pretty Pepsi-pepsi plant, I'll try to grow some in my garden.

The Tamarind resort sounds a wonderful place for a holiday.

MaR said...

Lovely plant, fun resort and great pictures!!
Happy Tuesday

Raven said...

Looks like a lovely place. Not sure how I'd do in a tent, but it looks like you and your friends had a great time.

Raven said...

Just noticed your G.K. Chesterton quote. Wonderul! Thanks. I'm grateful to have seen it!

maryt/theteach said...

Luna, a great post! I'm glad I gave up smoking years ago! Happy Ruby Tuesday! :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice place it looks. I love the shot of all of you in the tent :)