Monday, May 4, 2009

Puting Buhangin - Weekend Snapshot

click on the photo to enlarge

The rainy weekend didn't stop me and my friends from going on a road trip to Quezon. I had been looking for places to go to for the long weekend but the typhoon in Mindoro and low pressure in Bicol dampened my spirits. I was ready to spend a quiet weekend at home. Then finally, on late Thursday night, I was persuaded to go anyway.


This cove is called Puting Buhangin, or White Sand, located in Pagbilao Grande in Pagbilao, Quezon. The white sand stretches to 70 meters long and 10 meters wide. A small cave is found at one end of the beach. The cove is private and not very accessible so it's not as crowded compared to the usual white sanded beaches in the area. We got to Puting Buhangin through an outrigger boat from The Tamarind Tree, a resort in Padre Burgos where we were staying. It took us almost an hour to get here. It was a cloudy day, the sun was a no-show, but the water was very calm.

Most of our neighbors at Puting Buhangin walked about a kilometer from Pagbilao power plant to the cove. It rained that morning, so they endured muddy and slippery trails to reach the beach. Aside from a bathing suit and camera, bring your own food and drinking water when you'd like to spend the day---there was no sari-sari store here. Good thing, the nice owner of The Tamarind Tree was thoughtful enough to send us a lunch basket. If not, we would have survived on chips, bread and bottled fruit juice.

Rental for outrigger boat costs P1,800 (round trip)---Puting Buhangin and Borawan Island route. We joined other guests at The Tamarind Tree to make up a group of 8 to share the boat ride and fare. The caretaker at Puting Buhangin charges 35 pesos per person, 400 pesos for cottage rental.
approaching Puting Buhangin
the white beach

Franzia and April chillin' under a coconut tree
in our rented hut---Sally, Franz, moi & Moy
entrance to the cave called Kwebang Lampas
On the way to Puting Buhangin, I was pleasantly surprised at the rugged scenery along Tayabas Bay. Rugged cliffs and mountains, white sand coves, rock islets and crystal-clear waters---there was even a cascading waterfalls near the beach. The rugged beauty reminded me of Palawan. I didn't expect Tayabas Bay to be this beautiful.
rock islets and Pagbilao power plant at the background
Lalaking Bagucina, one of the Mag-Asawang Bato

a white sand cove at the distance
rugged cliffs along Tayabas Bay
moi with Sally & Franzia---enjoying the ride


Posted for Weekend Snapshot

15 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow ang ganda naman diyan. Never pa akong nakapunta ng Quezon. Ngayon parang gustong gusto ko ng makarating doon.

My Weekend Snapshots are posted here and here. Hope you can check it out, too. May you have a great new week ahead of you.

Enchie said...

Wow and ganda! its a good thing that the water was calm. and its also nice to enjoy the beach without the hot sun.

Anonymous said...

wow great adventure and white sand beautiful place...bravo

SASSY MOM said...

Wow, that's a very beautiful beach! Showed it to my hubs and he said he's been there long before. I'm sure you all had a wonderful time.

witsandnuts said...

Beautiful! I'm thinking of another place, I think they also have this "Isla puting buhangin" there.

..xia.. said...

Wow! How beautiful! I wish I was there too!

Mari said...

What a beautiful place! I enjoyed the tour via your pictures. This would be one place on my list to go to once I visit home.

Mind if we link blogs?

Thanks for your visit on my blog.

Photo Cache said...

Oh I miss the "gala" days with my girlfriends. This place is becoming really famous with the locals.

♥peachkins♥ said...

wow! ang ganda dyan...I bet you enjoyed every minute of it..

Unknown said...

hi, Mari! sure, let's exchange links. thanks for visiting.

stan said...

tt wld be my knda of an island getaway!~

Ebie said...

Luna, I am in awe, so beautiful and very proud of what our country could offer. Thanks for the virtual tour, enjoyed every minute of it.

escape said...

this cove is one of my favorite. i just love the beach, the small cave and its hidden location.

good that you were able to go there.

Heart of Rachel said...

Glad you had a great time at the beach despite the erratic weather. That looks like a lovely place. I've never been there before.

The Explorer said...

You have a nice weekend shot. Great place to visit. Thanks for dropping by to my site