Wednesday, January 13, 2010

International Fountain [Watery and Outdoor Wednesday]

Originally built in 1961 for the 1962 World's Fair, the International Fountain is the centerpiece of the open space and lawn at the Seattle Center. The original design was replaced and rebuilt in 1995 with over 20 spouts and programmed cycles of shooting water patterns synchronized to music. It was playing a symphony and then a mix of rock 'n roll while I was taking these pictures. The fountain bowl is 220 feet across, and the silver dome is 10 feet tall and 27 feet wide.


photos were taken in August 2009

14 comments:

Ebie said...

20 spouts? This is a lot of action. I bet those kids are just having fun during that summer! I bet it would be pretty at night with programmed lights and music!

P.S. mali and link mo sa WW (last week yata)

Unknown said...

yikes, mali nga!:p thanks, Ebie! *hugs*

xinex said...

Pretty neat fountain. My grandkids will have a ball there...Christine

Anonymous said...

It's a lot bigger than I thought before I read your entry - WoW! Gotta be one-of-a-kind

January Zelene said...

wow that's huge! galing naman!

Megan, Life Revamped said...

looks like a lot of fun!

at exciting for kids (and kids at heart)!

have a great day!

xoxo
~Fickle in Pink
WW
My World Tuesday
Silly Haiku

Martha Z said...

It does look like fun for the kids. I think my grandson would love it.

Photo Cache said...

I just find it very appealing. You have the gift to spot fountains. Is it your fave subject?

Kirigalpoththa said...

Very interesting fountain!

Gena D said...

It's huge!! look at the scale of the people around it!
Thanks for popping by my blog too!
Gena @ thinking aloud
South Africa
http://tobethinkingaloud.blogspot.com/

nuts said...

what a wonderful fountain you have here.. thanks for the visit and comment too.

My name is Riet said...

What a beautiful fountain. Children will love this

Ricepatty said...

What a neat fountain. Do people play in it during the warm months? - it looks like it might be fun :)

Claudia said...

wow...that is absolutely amazing!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and looking forward to you being with us for FFB (Friday finding Beauty)

TTFN~~Claudia ♥ ♥