Friday, January 8, 2010

Arroz Valenciana

Although my family doesn't subscribe to the belief of cooking something sticky for the New Year, my brother prepared Arroz Valenciana after I pestered him about it. He cooks a scrumptious Arroz Valenciana, and I was craving for it. I bought all the ingredients, diced and sliced and he did the rest.

The aroma of turmeric transports me back to my grandmother's kitchen---she had been cooking Arroz Valenciana since I can remember. At fiestas, birthdays, Christmas and New Year, family gatherings, Arroz Valenciana was ever-present on our table. My sister and I used to fight over the tutong, or the crusty, overcooked bits.

I tried to cook it once and it was very tiresome---the preparation and mixing of glutinous rice and other ingredients were exhausting. It felt like I rowed a boat for hours!

With my brother's strong biceps and triceps, he's perfect for the job!



15 comments:

Unknown said...

masarap ito matagal na akong di nakatikim. yung banana pala saba din yun ibang variety daw.

happy 2010!

http://mousey.info/2010/01/07/food-friday-28/

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

I'm not a fan of it, not just the dish itself but I'm not relaly into sticky rice.My sister on the otherhand will surely drool over your entry. :)
FoodTripFriday

SASSY MOM said...

That looks good... it probably tastes even better.

Here's my entry for FTF

xinex said...

This is one dish I would love to learn how to prepare. Yummy!..Christine

~Cheryl said...

Hooray for brothers! I wouldn't mind tasting that! Have a wonderful weekend!

Clarissa said...

That arroz valenciana of yours looks good--you and your bro did well in the kitchen!!^_^

Wishing you and your family a blissful 2010,LM!!^_^ and oh,did I tell you that I soo love the music here^_^

Andi said...

I will have to look for a recipe. Thank you for introducing me to something new. :-)

EG CameraGirl said...

Hmmm. Where can a find a great brother to make this for me? It sounds good.

 gmirage said...

Miss ko na din yan, pahingi naman!

Marites said...

I've been craving for this too but nobody's helping me satisfy that craving:( Buti kapa. anyway, happy new year!

♥peachkins♥ said...

matagal-tagal na kong di nakakatikim nito..

Sunshinelene said...

yummmmyyyy. i had valenciana during the new year. it's what my boss cooked for everyone in their apartment complex and i was invited.

i love valenciana especially the eggs! :)

Arlene
http://arlenecollado.com/2010/01/10/ftf-34-fish-paksiw/

maiylah said...

usually pag may mga handaan dun sa province ni hubby meron nito ... though the color of their arroz valenciana is slightly reddish. no idea how they prepare it, though. :)

thanks for playing again, LM
happy 2010!

Enchie said...

Hi Luna! How are you? I'm so interested how to prepare this one of a kind food. Mukhang super sarap, ma-goto at ma-arrozcaldo pa naman ako :) sarap!

Enchie said...

That's so nice of you Luna. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Take your time, get all the rest you need.