Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lasang Pinoy, Sundays: Red

my carne frita


For Lasang Pinoy’s “RED” theme this week, I am posting photos of my lunch last Sunday. I had beef steak---Tagalogs call it Bistek, Ilonggos call it Carne Frita, with rice and eggplant ensalada on the side.

Beef is our only source of red meat at home because we don’t eat horse meat and lamb. While red meat is rich in protein and iron, a lot of dreaded diseases have also been linked to its regular consumption. Over the years, I have managed to minimize red meat intake considerably. If I used to have 3 beef dishes in a week, now it’s down to just one or none at all. I must admit though that I still indulge in a juicy steak from time to time with a tinge of guilt. Pero sige na lang, life is short!
More “red” nourishments at Spices.


P.S. This post was posted in advance as I am out of town.


8 comments:

 gmirage said...

I was never aware that horse meat is also eaten so I was shocked when I saw a horsemeat shop here! Dinadaanan ko pa araw araw...

Bistek/beefsteak/carne frita...yum!

So now I wonder why there are o comments and saw your note....you're off somewhere nice again taking wonderful photos no? See you when you're back...

Panaderos said...

I love Bistek especially when it's loaded with onions! Yummy!

I need to cut down on steaks. I tend to eat quite a lot of it whenever I'm out on business trips. Bad. :(

Oman said...

nagutom naman ako bigla. sarap kaya nyan lalo na yung marami sibuyas.

Unknown said...

hi, lawstude! yup, i agree...especially the white juicy sibuyas.

Unknown said...

Same here, Panaderos. But it's a bit difficult to say no when somebody's taking you out for steak.:D

Unknown said...

When i was a kid in Negros, my uncles would sometimes bring home tapa made from horse meat. Pinupulutan nila. I still prefer beef steak and beef tapa.

Thanks for droppin' by, Gizelle.

escape said...

naku ayan. nagugutom na tuloy ako. aga pa naman.

Anonymous said...

That looks yummy! me too..I don't eat a lot of red meat anymore. I prefer chicken. thanks for the comment.