Friday, March 20, 2009

Delicioso Fajita

Oh-la-la, fajitas con salsa de tomate! A flashback from my college Spanish class---our Portuguese teacher taught us how to order food in Spanish. But that's as far as my Spanish goes, what's left are mostly cuss words I picked up from my relatives and at my grandmother's mahjong table.

But no expletives, in Spanish or in vernacular, were uttered when this hot platter of beef and chicken fajitas was served at Texas Roadhouse in Bonifacio High Street...just an expectant, at last!

The fajita was concocted by Mexican ranch workers living near the Texas-Mexico border in the late 1930's. The meat is cooked with onions and bell peppers in an iron skillet and served with condiments on the side like sour cream, salsa, guacamole, cheese, pico de gallo and tomatoes, and rolled up in a soft flour tortilla. It's truly a Tex-Mex food, a blending of Texas cowboy and Mexican panchero foods. I had my first fajita in an authentic Mexican cantina in Lewisville, Texas, a quaint version of our turo-turo and a perfect set for vintage Clint Eastwood western.

side condiments

Posted for Food Friday


14 comments:

fortuitous faery said...

a portuguese teaching spanish? but portuguese is also an interesting language to learn. i also learned textbook spanish in college. :)

that looks muy delicioso! i was fortunate to have sampled some real tex-mex food in texas last year.

Zeee said...

That is mouth watering Luna! hehehe I didn't have Spanish in college but my mom can still carry a conversation in one and always talks with our neighbors in Spanish...hehehe

Serving mine HERE

Anonymous said...

You reminded me of my Columbian classmates who I understand a lot espacially with bad words lol. Does look yummy! But Im having second thoughts lol.

agent112778 said...

wow ang sarap naman, parang steak :D

my entry is here

Great day for us Food Friday Eaters :)
Thanx for the Visit :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

Wow! it looks yummy..

Mine's here

have a great weekend friday eaters!

Anonymous said...

You mentioned Spanish class which reminded me that during the time I was in college, we were required to complete 12 units (4 semesters)of Spanish. I hated the subject because it has no relevance to the degree I was pursuing. I just learned enough to pass the course. Now I hated myself for missing an opportunity to learn a new language LOL. BTW, I like Mexican food - fajita, taco, burrito...whatever they call them, I like them.

Anonymous said...

I love salsa!!! This looks yummy!

My entries for Food Friday are posted here and here. Happy weekends!

Anonymous said...

ang sarap naman yan!

happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! That looks really tasty. Happy FF.

Anonymous said...

haha i know those words over a mahjong game:) looks so good!:)

Anonymous said...

yummm ... reminded me of my college days. :)

thanks for playing again, Luna!
happy weekend

Anonymous said...

Yum! I now wanna run to the nearest Mexican resto here.

escape said...

pang apat na blog na nabisita ko sa ngayon na nagpapakita ng pagkain. buti na lang tanghalian na.

Heart of Rachel said...

I love fajitas. I love ordering it at restaurants.