Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lasang Pinoy: not my kitchen

I couldn't resist not posting these photos of a traditional Filipino kitchen complete with dapog, an Ilonggo term for a part of the kitchen where cooking is done using the traditional earthen stove, wood or charcoal, clay pots and ladles made of coconut shell and bamboo.

There's also a huge rice or fruit storage basket made from woven bamboo, some earthenware to store salt and dried fish; a few bilao or kalalaw, a round woven bamboo tray for fruits and vegetables, also used as a winnowing basket to remove rice chaff. A banggera, an extension from the window where dinnerware are washed and dried, is behind the capiz window panels.

No, this is not my kitchen. This is the kitchen where our national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal, probably watched his mother cook when he was a little boy in Calamba. I dropped by Rizal Shrine last weekend on the way back to Manila. Will post more photos of the house where Rizal spent his childhood in.

Kitchen at the Rizal Shrine, Calamba, Laguna

More kitchen photos at spiCes

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, most interesting indeed! thank you so much for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

i remember cooking using clay pot and charcoal. i don't think i ever used an oven until i moved to the U.S. many many years ago. :) that is wonderful of you to share this. last year, i took 29 friends from Europe and the US to Manila (their first time) and we visited La Cocina de Tita Moning near Malacanang. It was an ancestral home but it would have been more interesting to show them this shrine. Maybe next time....:)

Anonymous said...

This kind of kitchen requires a bit of hard work.I know because my lola used to have a kitchen like this where we breathe through a pipe to keep the fire burning :D The food tasted great because these were done in slow cooking.

Happy Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your photos. A trip down memory lane for me... Laguna is my hometown.

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing those too from a field trip back in school...ganda ano, ang linis pa! Luna, hope I can borrow your pics sometimes...:)

Anonymous said...

My lola used to have a kitchen with all those things in it. I hate that they got rid of those things when they built their new house. I would love to have those bamboo bowls and ladles now. Along with the old clay jar where they used to save water and it stayed cool even in the summer!

MUSHROOMSfromHOME said...

love this kitchen. once upon a time, i remember my lolo's banga which was an earthen jar used for water storage (no ref yet). the cool water was very refreshing. he had a winnowing basket too, where i helped separate rice chaff. those were the good old days...

Unknown said...

hi, Gizelle! the shrine is maintained by the gov't and besides, pride talaga ng Calamba ang ancestral home ni Rizal kaya maayos at malinis.

sure, you can borrow my photos anytime.:D

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've never seen this kitchen before, thanks for sharing the photos!
It's but right to maintain its beauty, for future generation to see.

agent112778 said...

Vigan houses have the same kitchens too, pero wala akong pix :((

my entry is here

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

Anonymous said...

i've been to the rizal shrine before! i love visiting shrines/museums! :) when i was in college studying architecture, i knew the parts of both the bahay kubo and the bahay na bato by heart. nakalimutan ko na ngayon. haha!

escape said...

ganda pala talaga dyan. laki na ng utang ko sa calamba.