Tuesday, August 9, 2011

At the countryside [MWT]

@ mirandablue
When you visit the Philippine countryside, you are most likely to see a carabao (a subspecies of the water buffalo).  This animal is still a very important draught-animal in the rice fields and farming villages.  If  not working the fields, carabaos are usually found wallowing in a puddle of mud or a watering hole just like this one I met in a river in Manapla.

@ mirandablue
The lush countryside made us linger.  Time drifted leisurely here, a refreshing escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

@ mirandablue
It was almost time for lunch when the gentle carabao emerged from the river, fresh and energized, to take the kids home.  Nearby, a family prepared to have their picnic lunch under a truck---food was eaten kamayan-style (with bare hands), while sitting on banana leaves.

@ mirandablue
I smiled and waved at these kids, remembering a simpler time.

@ mirandablue

Manapla is a coastal town in Negros island, about 45 kilometers north of Bacolod City, the provincial capital.  One of the earliest sugar mills in the country, North Negros Sugar Company, was built here in 1917. 



Show your world at My World - Tuesday

19 comments:

Viola said...

Lovely pictures- and something extraordinary to me, in my world :)
Many beautiful pictures in your previous posts as well! :)

Carver said...

What a beautiful place to explore. Great scenery and very well photographed.

Snap said...

Such beautiful country and I love the shots of the kids and the gentle/working carabao.

Clarissa said...

Nakaka-miss ang Negros!I remember the times nung bulilit pa ko~my friends and I ran after a truck filled with sugarcanes to get for free^_^

magiceye said...

loved this part of your world!

Dhemz said...

parang inde sa pinas...hehehe...love all the pics!

Anonymous said...

What lovely shots. And life does look pretty simple yet happy in your shots.

Sylvia K said...

What a delightful look at your world! Marvelous captures as always! Thank you, my friend, for you kind words and comment. I'm blessed with a lovely family and I don't feel my age -- in spite of the reality! Have a beautiful week!

Sylvia

VioletSky-Sightlines said...

The water buffalo looks really comfortable with the kids and probably enjoys his turn in the water!

Jenn said...

Love the last shot! Kakatuwa to see how the children in the countryside enjoying the outdoors in a simple kind of way.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, wonderful photos. The carabao with the cart is a great scene. I love it.

GingGoy said...

just love all green pictures...typical scenes yet miss them all the time

Caroline Lind said...

I love all your pictures, great!

Gattina said...

Exceptional ! so cute the kids sitting on this huge animal ! They must have had a lot of fun !

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks like a great place to grow up. City kids don't get to enjoy nature the way country kids do.

Sivinden said...

Great captures that tell me a story from another part of the world.

Photo Cache said...

you have shown us a slice of countryside living. well done.

Sallie (fullTime-Life) said...

I did not know about this animal. And its a lovely post, as you say, reminiscent of days gone by (for some of us).

NatureFootstep said...

I think those children has a wonderful day. :)