Thursday, January 17, 2013

Oxtail and Spanish Chorizo Stew

As a food-lover and weekend cook, I seek novelty.  I'm a sucker for a new dish, a new ingredient, a new technique.  This dish was brought about by my discussion with my mother about paprika. So I looked up some dishes with paprika that we haven't cooked at home yet, and found a Spanish-style oxtail braised with chorizo recipe here.  

I have never cooked oxtail before because it usually requires long, slow cooking.  I don't have a slow cooker but I threw all cautions to the wind and bought oxtail anyway.  I made my own version with the same ingredients except for white wine (my mother doesn't like wine in her food--I'm still trying to convince her that wine enhances the flavor :p) and parsley (didn't find it in the supermarket). 


Instead of braising oxtail, I slow-cooked it until meat was fork tender.  What makes oxtail special is the gelatin in the meat and bones.  This gelatin dissolves into the dish when slow-cooked, creating a rich mouth-feel.  

I would have wanted this a bit more spicy but my "critics" have a low tolerance to spicy food.  This is perfect with steamed rice or crusty bread.



 

10 comments:

Leovi said...

Exquisite dish is one of my favorites.

Kim, USA said...

This is really good. Yummy!

Kim,USA


Oggi said...

Looks yummy Luna. I'll bookmark the recipe. Thanks.:)

Hazel said...

I got lots of parsley, want some? :) Looks yummy and I would try cooking oxtail one day when I retire. Your mother and mine sound similarly anti-wine.

Jenn said...

Ako din, di ko type ang lasa ng wine, so I'd skip it as well. :)

Hopping here from Food Friday.

maiylah said...

oooh, i haven't tried cooking that part of the animal yet...does require long cooking. looks delicious!

thanks much for sharing and linking over at Food Friday, LM
ps. interesting, it uses white wine instead of red wine!

Dude for Food said...

wow, awesome dish! I love ox-tail and chorizo!

Meikah said...

Oh this is new to me! Will try this out, too! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks so yummy! Thanks for this! :D

www.kriskamarie.com

Tetcha Figuerres said...

That's a yummy-looking oxtail dish! I want!