Monday, November 17, 2008

Refuge

I’ve been scarce lately. Sorry about that. Last week, I buried my nose in a little novel called “Memories of my Melancholy Whores”. Yes, I devoted my free time to Garcia Marquez’ effortless storytelling, guiltless, to distract myself from myself. Reread it to recharge and excite my funny molecules after almost 2 weeks of nerve-racking, back-breaking, mind-numbing virtual battle of wills with somebody up in HQ. It was like two bulls, horns locked in battle, nobody was willing to give up or give in---he wanted world domination, I fought for what is right and logical. Leaving a trail of smoke, he relented, not without protest, as he figuratively picked up his ego on the floor. And learning from lessons of the past, I didn’t rub his nose in his “surrender”…I was magnanimous in my small victory.:D


There was no celebratory coffee at Starbucks with my team, either. I celebrated my own way---by re-reading Garcia Marquez’ seductively funny novella. Reading is my brain-food, my energy booster, like a bowl of hot Bulalo to somebody with a hangover. It usually sends me in the right direction, an invisible hand that guides me along the road, throws light in the dark streets, and gives my weary mind a place to rest. And by cruising along my favorite haunts, in the mood to admire the sleepy world once again under the moon, on the shoulders of the highway.

Driving to places where nature grows refreshes my eyes and invigorates my soul. It gives me an opportunity to pay attention to the small things that accompany my daily journey but overlooked during stressful days. I spent an afternoon listening to the whispered gossip of the leaves, admiring the rhythm of swaying branches from between the pages of "Memories"...filled with Garcia Marquez' delightful and witty exploration of old age and desire, grinning at the author's twisted sense of humor. I am happy again.

It’s my way of coping with life…by creating an oasis of calm and sunshine inside and outside my mind.


12 comments:

Webradio said...

Hello Miranda !

It's right that You have this refuge... You are a great Lady...

"Garcia Marquez" is a good writer...

See You later !

Panaderos said...

Big or small, a victory's a victory. Congratulations. I'm glad that you were able to recharge, clear your mind and find solace through your reading. Take care. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you, Panaderos. My aunt used to say that if there's a readers anonymous, i should join because reading has become a vice.:D Now, she's glad of my addiction, it has kept me sane (hehehe).

Unknown said...

Thank you, webradio. Appreciate the kind words.:D

escape said...

hahaha... nice way to get yourself active. it's good to know you're back. haven't been able to read books lately. last was little prince. quite odd for my age. LOL.

Sidney said...

Congrats for your victory... I am happy you make him eat dust ! ;-)

I love Garcia Marquez's books but I didn't read this particular novel... so next time I pass by a bookstore I will purchase a copy.

Anonymous said...

naku! congrats to getting over the hurdle of office politics!
It really is something that you know where to look for calm and sanity---reading good books! Not so many people know that luxury ;-)!

Unknown said...

thank you, bernadette. it felt like i just finished a tour of luzon (haha). there's no other place to look for calm but inside. no need to go to india 'ika nga.:D you're so right, when a non-reader asks me why i love reading, it's a bit difficult to explain (like explaining blue to a blind person). it is indeed a luxury, and i'm so blessed.

Unknown said...

hahaha thank you, Sidney.

Oh, you should read "Memories of my Melancholy Whores". You will enjoy it!

Unknown said...

not odd at all, dong. the little prince appeals to our inner child. i personally believe that we should read anything and everything---good books, bad books, pati pambalot ng tinapa.:D reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.

Keith said...

I know on a map it looks like I am right next to the coast... California creates that illusion to the world. Still, I am carless, and careless at times. I see your pictures of the coastline, and know I need to see the water

Unknown said...

I feel that impulse at times, too, Keith---to see and breath the ocean. Being carless is ok, but careless is dangerous.:D Here, one would need to brave the traffic to see Manila Bay, or bear the price of gas and drive 2-3 hours to see a nicer beach.:D Thanks for visiting.