Monday, October 13, 2008

Lasang Pinoy, Sundays: School of Fish

Grilled fish is got to be the most common recipe Filipinos do with fish. It is served with a dipping sauce of soy sauce, kalamansi juice, chili peppers, and onions. One American client asked me to bring him to a Filipino restaurant, and he ordered grilled pompano. It was too late when he realized that the grilled fish is served in whole, not fillet. He turned green when he saw the fish with head and eyeballs that he said were staring at him! And imagine his expression when I told him that fish head is the tastiest part, and that most Filipinos eat fish brains and eyeballs. :D

You wonder what this thing in the second photo? It’s not sausage...it’s my favorite part---we call it bihod in Ilonggo, or fish roe. Whenever I eat bihod, I would remember my childhood in Negros where my siblings and I would fight over a piece of bihod. Since there’s only one bihod in a large fish (usually from fish locals call alibalay and gingaw or red snapper), my grandmother would slice it in small parts so each of us have a piece. Tuna bihod is available at the Seaside Market along Macapagal Highway.

More fish dishes at SpiCes.

15 comments:

JayAshKal said...

I love fish roe, but no this big! Usually the ones you find in small isda. I am sure masarap to.

Anonymous said...

I never knew that the bihod can grow that big! Hindi ba pang shark yan... hehehe!

agent112778 said...

wow bihod pa lang malaki na what more yung mismong isda :)


eto aken lahok

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

Webradio said...

Hello Miranda !

I love fish, so can I come eating ???

See You later...

 gmirage said...

Ako din, I like those in galunggong! pero if that big, kaya ko din!!! Ay sarap, nagutom ako...sana pasyal mo din ako. =D

escape said...

picture pa lang masarap na masarap na.

Anonymous said...

omg! nakakatakam naman yang inihaw entry mo! yummy! right now i'd rather have this in fact than my sushi:)

Sidney said...

Hmmm... fish brains...eyeballs...roe....
do you ever see your clients again? ;-)

Sidney said...

yes... I started blogging again...

Anonymous said...

Do you fry or grill fish roe? What kind of sauce do you dip it in?

Unknown said...

@ jayashkal: it has a rich flavor...masarap talaga.:D

@ clicking away: lol di naman from shark. pag malaki ang isda, malaki din ang bihod.

@ agent: the last time i was at the seaside market, bihod is P250 per kilo---tuna bihod.

@ webradio: come on over!:D

Unknown said...

@ gizelle: pag-uwi mo, treat kita sa seaside.:D wag muna next week ha, para mapag-ipunan ko.:D

@ dong: masarap talaga. but it's said to be rich in cholesterol. di pwede sa mga may high blood pressure.

@ spices: thanks for dropping by, ces.

Webradio said...

Thank You... I close my eyes, and I come...
Smile for You...

Unknown said...

hi, sidney! clients always come back to try more exotic food.:D but most of them are not that adventurous when it comes to balut and one-day-old chick.:D i just take their photos beside the one-day-old chick stall and they're happy.

good to know you're blogging again. will visit your site soon. thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

it can be deep-fried or grilled, bertn. same dip we use for inihaw na isda---soy sauce with kalamansi. i also use palm vinegar with sili. papawisan ka talaga!:D