Monday, March 12, 2012

Diving in Subic Bay/OWT & WW


From the second floor terrace of the beach-house at Edgewater, I noticed this boat anchored not far away from the pier. Em told me scuba divers frequent the area.  This area of Subic Bay is a marine sanctuary where commercial fishing is not allowed.  Aside from the rich marine life, there are also ship wrecks here--either from the Spanish-American War in 1898 or the World War II.


Subic Bay is part of Luzon Sea at the west coast of Luzon, the biggest island in the Philippines, about 100 kilometers northwest of Manila Bay.  The shores were formerly the site of a major US Navy facility, now the location of an industrial and commercial area known as the Subic Bay Freeport Zone.




14 comments:

eastcoastlife said...

Is the US Navy still stationed at Subic Bay? My son visited it in 2005 and met many US Navy officers.

docgelo said...

how i wish i know how to scuba dive and enjoy those ship wrecks and the beauty underneath.

LadyFi said...

Oh, how lovely with the sun and the sparkling water.

Angelika Poe said...

Hi Miranda, it's a great view, they show there, I love the sea and the waves ... walk on the beach are fantastic ...

Kayni said...

i'd love to visit subic one day.

Jenn said...

It was here that I experienced my first wreck dive. I had fun but concluded that wreck dives aren't exactly my favorite kind of dives. I find it a bit eerie. :) Although some find it really fascinating.

Olga Levina said...

What a beautiful collection of the bay photos! Thanks for sharing, and thanks a lot for visiting my blog and leaving a kind comment! I too am fond of sunsets - quite nothing like them. I'm glad that my photos told you a Tel Aviv story...

Greetings from Tel Aviv :)

stardust said...

It’s such a precious part of the sea where commercial fishing is not allowed. Shimmering sea is beautiful, so must be under the surface.

Tito Eric said...

One of these days ... I will go diving!

EG CameraGirl said...

I bet there's a treasure trove there for scuba divers.

The Nature Jotter said...

wow beautiful photos, it always makes me think about summer! Compliments!

KM said...

Have you ever gone scuba diving, Ms. Miranda? ;)

escape said...

top spot nga to for diving kasi daming shipwrecks.

Sir Chas said...

Based on the angle in your Photo, I would say the divers were visiting the LCU shipwreck which is one of three in the small section of Subic Bay called Triboa Bay. the LCU, Landing Craft Utility is a small boat used to land supplies. Also near by is a Japanese Patrol Boat and the Lanakia. The Lanakia was onced own by MGM studio owner Sam Goldwen and starred in the movie hurricane.