Thursday, March 29, 2012

Adobong Takway


My mother has been cooking Adobong Takway since I can remember.  Takway are taro or gabi root tendrils or shoots.   It was a much appreciated pasalubong from a certain relative when she visited us.  I did not like takway when I was growing up because of its slimy texture, like saluyot and alugbati, I cringed when there was Adobong Takway on the table.  

The preparation of peeling the outer skin of takway is also tedious.  Although my mom finds it therapeutic.:p


Through the years I've come to love Adobong Takway.  I don't know when it happened but little by little, I find it appetizing, a comfort food.  It's probably from my mom's brainwashing!:p

We have a neighbor who regularly receives a package of takway, dried fish and gabi from her husband in Roxas City.  Like me, the neighbor hates cleaning and peeling takway so she always takes a bundle to my mom who is more than happy to do it.  

Adobong Takway
  • Saute garlic and onions, add some pieces of pork (optional)
  • Add the cut pieces of takway and saute for a few minutes
  • Add water---enough to cook it not to drown it
  • Option:  Add guinamos (shrimp paste) diluted in water
  • Add salt & pepper, soy sauce (or Kikkoman) and a little brown sugar
  • Bring to boil until takway is soft but not mushy; Do not undercook as taro can trigger allergic reactions when undercooked.
  • Add vinegar and  taste to figure out if seasoning needs to be adjusted
  • Serve hot with lots of steamed rice

I am not sure if this is mainly an Ilonggo dish---I haven't seen or heard of takway in other regions like Ilocos, Bicol or Central Luzon.  Maybe it is called by another name.

I believe takway is a great source of fiber.  It is also very easy to eat--no seed, stem, leaf...it's like eating noodles.  A gratifying, enticing dish---perfect for Lent.

Adobong Takway ala Monserat



Linking to Food Friday and Food Trip Friday 

24 comments:

genie said...

When I first looked at the shoots, I thought they looks like asparagus without the tops. By the time you showed your last picture I knew they were very different. I think they look yummy though I would not have like the sliminess either. The shots of them are so pretty. They are very appealing. genie

Nature Rambles said...

Looks most delicious! I haven't had it for ages...must check out the markets here. I loved it as a child. My mother used to cook it with dried fish.

Kanak

Kim, USA said...

Omg! I just post my mellow dramatic/bitter melon/ampalaya post because it reminds me of my mom. Now this Takway is one of my fathers favorite to cook that when he passed away we never cook it again. He is the only one who has the patience to clean this vegetable and he is the only one who cook this vegetable too. I missed my parents they both are good cook, where do I get the talent, LOL!! Thanks for the space Luna and my whining ^_^ Happy weekend!

Bitter Melon

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

I have never seen this vegetable. I love all vegetables so I would probably like this too! The recipe sounds yummy!

Iska said...

I'm not quite sure if I've tried this before but it does look yum. Would definitely try it given the chance :-)

Photo Cache said...

this is something new. i've never heard of or seen the takyaw before.

speaking of adobo, my hubby cooked beef adobo a couple of days ago, and i must say beef and adobo don't belong together. :) it's a good dish, but i crave for the chicken taste or the pork taste.

Leah H. said...

Haven't try it before but looks yummy!

Visiting for FTF- hope you can stop by:)

http://myrecipecollection.info/2012/03/mrs-pauls-crunchy-fish-fillets.html

Jackie McGuinness said...

Never heard of this vegetable!

Thanks for dropping by and visiting.

Dhemz said...

I don't think I had this before...mukhang masarap!

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

I've seen Takway in the market very often but i never really tasted one,I'm not sure if my mom knows how to cook it.

Dude for Food said...

Hi Luna, this is new to me, but it looks delicious and healthy, definitely different!

Tetcha said...

Your post made me realize that there are still a lot of Filipino foods that I haven't tried yet. To be honest, this is the first time I heard of takway. I hope I'll get to try adobong takway, too, one of these days.

agent112778 said...

ahh, yun pala ang takway :D sayang wala nang ganyan sa market namin kasi puro pang laing na gabi na ang tinda

here's my share for the weekend

mommy Orkid Belle said...

I like eating gabi and I like eating it when it's my aunt fixing the gabi. Somehow she makes really good gabi with coconut milk, then put some hot peppers in it. Man! It is absolutely delicious. This looks really good as well. Hmmm...

emzkie said...

i never tried this before. look so good and healthy! i understand why ur mom likes to peel it. cause her time there was no internet, computer, cellphones to tether. they have all the time in the world to prepare food! lol.

from FTF! thanks for your visit
http://mydailybabble.info/2012/03/dinner-tv-sweet-n-sour-chicken/

Zenserly said...

I love takway...I didn't know they can be cooked as adobo..I will definitely try this....glad I found my way here...

Jessica said...

that looks very delish and healthy too Sis :-) Dropping by for FTF.

http://www.homecookingwithjessy.com/my-husbands-dinner-to-bring-to-work/

Jessica said...

Growing up we always veggies and this taro looks so delish Sis :-) Dropping by from FF

http://www.homecookingwithjessy.com/meat-loaf-was-last-nights-dinner/

KM said...

Ang sarap nito Ms. Miranda! :)

anne said...

This is best for our health. visiting from FTF here's mine thanks Sahm’s Dining Diary

maiylah said...

first time i've heard of this dish, and i know about the 'gradual liking' that you're talking about. lol. would love to try this! padalhan mo 'ko! lol

thanks for sharing over at Food Friday, LM

cheerful said...

something new, first time ko marinig eto at makakita, looks really yummy...hope i can try it someday! :) visiting from FTF, see you around. thanks and have a great week. :)

Unknown said...

I tried eating this cuisine in Bacolod I am really from Cebu. Now that I am In Manila I am craving for it. I love Ilonggo foods from Chicken Barbecue, Laswa, and Adobong Takway. Yum yum!

Unknown said...

I love adobong Takway... So appetizing. It's probably an Ilonggo dish, an answer to adobong sitaw.