Sunday, December 28, 2008

Lasang Pinoy: Noche Buena

Can you feel your cholesterol levels rise by just looking at these photos? As my friend would say, you make it hard, babe! He meant his arteries...

No, these were not on my
noche buena table. I took these gruesome photos in one of the Christmas parties I attended last week. Lechon, or suckling pig, is the centerpiece of Filipino parties, a symbol of our love for celebrations. And during the holiday season, lechon completes the noche buena feast.

My mother's family loves lechon and my grandmother had a small piggery so my uncles could roast a pig anytime. Anything was celebrated...an uncle spelled "lineage" correctly, Lola had a pig roasted; there was lechon on the table after an aunt got her driver's license. My little brother choked on chocolates, he survived---my uncle roasted a pig as thanksgiving. You get the picture.:D Grandfather, by the way, died from coronary thrombosis, Lola succumbed to cardiac arrest. The rest of the family has high blood pressure.


Words from our sponsor: Cholesterol is found only in animal products. Foods from plants do not contain cholesterol. High levels of cholesterol can lead to heart disease. If you binged on lechon and other fat-rich foods during the holidays, please don't forget to have your cholesterol levels checked soon. Don't wait for symptoms.

Posted for
Lasang Pinoy.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Lechon for the simple fact that with every piece of it that I eat, I feel like I just took a step (or two) closer to my God.

:D

Unknown said...

hahaha that's a brilliant way of putting it, Panaderos! so our choices would be---binge on lechon or step in front of a train. the result is the same.:D

Anonymous said...

What a great feast!! Happy New Year!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

uy,pareho tayo ng entry...

My entries are here and here .

Hope you can visit..
Have a great sunday!

Anonymous said...

so far lahat kayo may lechon ha! kaiinggit! Happy New Year to you and your family!:)

Zeee said...

Wow! That lechon head is pretty scary! hahahaha :)


Serving mine here

agent112778 said...

yes, just the slight sight of letchon, i want grab and take my simvastains :))

Here is Mine

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

Anonymous said...

Nakupo! The 2nd lechon photo i saw today...
grabe YUM talaga!

Anonymous said...

I prefer Panaderos exit strategy - it is soothingly slow and salsa sweet LOL.

escape said...

everyone's posting lechon. hehehe... it really is enticing. just need to limit it for those having high blood pressure.

Anonymous said...

oh my! I can 't have lechon anymore, not that I have clogged arteries (yet) but I will just look at it and imagine. grrr....

What a feast!

Have a bountiful 2009! :)

Dennis Villegas said...

I love the lechon but I hate the cholesterol. I especially liked the crispy oily skin. But I'm afraid of heart disease so I only eat lechon once in a while, or hen there's only an occassion.

docemdy said...

I eat lechon only when there's a special occasuion. It's a good thing that's rare. You sound like you have a strong family history. Maybe the family should have their cholesterol levels checked. Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Sarap ng lechon. Happy New year!