Saturday, May 21, 2011

Cluttered [Photo Hunt]

@ mirandablue
Wandered in the sugarcane fields of Negros a couple of weeks ago, and found this heap of burned sugarcane cluttered in the middle of a dirt road.  Sugar is the backbone of Negros' economy---60% of the Philippines' sugar production is on this island.  Aside from smuggled sugar, by 2015, the local sugar industry will compete with imported sugar that will enter the domestic market at zero tariff.  I wonder if the government would be able to effectively address the challenges at protecting the local sugar industry.  Many jobs are dependent on this industry.

@ mirandablue
sugarcane fields in Locotan, Kabankalan City, Negros Occidental


Posted for Photo Hunt

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never seen a sugar cane field. It is interesting.

Mrs. M said...

Nice shots! Loved the greens....

Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

nice shots!!

Bhupesh

Fotokarusellen said...

An informative post and beautiful images.
Thanks for your comment and a great weekend to you.

Cezar and Léia said...

Very interesting post and I love that second picture, it reminds me the region in Brazil where I lived.
Léia - Bonjour Luxembourg

jams o donnell said...

Great take ion the theme. I've never seen so much potential sugar before!

Anonymous said...

Some how the "Free Trade" agreements seem to be bad for producing nations. Australia is cluttered with business skeletons caused by the loss of tarrifs.

YTSL said...

I wonder: do sugarcane fields have a lot more ants than regular fields?

Momgen said...

I like sugarcane very sweet(LOL)...Mine is up.

Mine is here

magiceye said...

thoughtful take on the theme

Carver said...

Interesting post and the shot works well for the theme.

Liz said...

Great shots. Have a fabulous weekend!

Liz @ MLC

Viola said...

Important issues you are pointing to here.. Myself I don't eat sugar enymore.. But to many people sugar is one of the most important things.. :)

Susan Demeter said...

That is a lot of sugar!

Marites said...

I do hope things will improve for the sugar industry. that's a nice shot for our photohunt's theme. My PH is here.