Friday, April 17, 2009

Pinaputok - Food Friday



I have no idea why it's called Pinaputok na Tilapia (Popped Tilapia). All I know is, after adding salt and pepper to fish, the belly is stuffed with tomatoes, onions and coriander. Then it's wrapped in banana leaves and grilled until it's cooked in its own juice. While the wrapped
fish is grilled, it probably pops or makes popping sounds, thus the name...I'm just guessing. Served with a dip of soy sauce with calamansi and chili.
And the best side dish for pinaputok na tilapia is---green mango salad with bagoong (shrimp paste), tomatoes and onions. Best eaten with rice and the bare hands---so go wash your hands and get ready to attack!


Posted for Food Friday

9 comments:

Photo Cache said...

I buy this at the Filipino store here, and did not know the name. Thanks. It goes so well with bagong saing na kanin, with a little sawsawan of bagoong and kalamansi.

Ebie said...

Hmmm, your mangoes and bagoong are making me drool and hungry. After the virtual Corrigidor tour, time to eat!

agent112778 said...

korek ka jan Luna, ang sarap ng tilapya at manggang hilaw :drool:

my entry is hereGreat day for us Food Friday Eaters :)
Thanx for the Visit :)

Race said...

wow that gets me drooling, i've tried many recipes of tilapia and i love steamed tilapia with mayonnaise, cheese and grounded garlic but I think this one is a lot better, I'll try this one out, thanks for sharing! mine is up also at http://my-crossroad.com/2009/04/food-friday-ampalaya-con-tofu.html

Zriz said...

I haven't tried this yet but it sure does look absolutely yummy! :)

Serving mine HERE

bertN said...

Will the "pinaputok na tilapia" taste the same when wrapped with aluminum foil instead of banana leaves? Baka hindi pumutok - yun 'atang putok ang nagpapasaran duon LOL.

witsandnuts said...

OMG! Sobrang natatakam ako ngayon sa mangga't bagoong!

Unknown said...

hi, bertn! hmmmn...tama ka, yong putok ang nagpapasarap (lol).

 gmirage said...

I cook this a lot when I was there and I dont remember where I learned it, big hit sa bahay hehe!