Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wordless Wednesday: Betis church

Photos outside Betis church in Guagua town, Pampanga. The church was close as well as the church museum when I dropped by last week (I thought churches do not close!). The owner of the furniture company I visited nearby told me that their church has picturesque interiors, with beautiful painted ceiling comparable to Sistine Chapel's ceiling and intricate wood carvings. Baroque-inspired Betis church was built in 1660 and was completed in 1770. Unfortunately, it was the museum's caretaker's day-off so I drove off without seeing the inside of the church. Betis is known for their woodcarvers and wood sculptors, with wood carving industry as the main source of livelihood. Religious images, frescoes, retablos, and ornate furniture are Betis artisans' expertise.

Oh, not wordless after all.






16 comments:

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

A beautiful church which I'm sure when it's up keep it'll be even more beautiful :)

Dennis Villegas said...

The photos are very colorful, especially the blue skies. You also captured the church architecture with rich details. Great job!

catsynth said...

It's interesting. When I saw the first photo, especially with the wide-angle effect, I thought it was a very modern church, maybe 1960s or later. But I was a read your description and then saw the remaining photos, I could tell it was something much older.

Gattina said...

I stand in front of closed churches too but what made me really angry was in Italy they asked for an entrance fee to go in ! Of course I didn't ! i don't want to give money to the pope, he already has enough !

Unknown said...

your last sentence made me laugh, Gattina! i agree!:D

there was also an entrance fee at Westminster Abbey & St. Margaret's Church in London.:(

Unknown said...

it's a very old church, catsynth. i hope to see the interior of the church one of these days.

Unknown said...

thank you, Dennis. :D

Unknown said...

hi, napaboaniya! i'm sure this church is well taken care of...people in Betis are very fond of their church.

Sreisaat said...

I love the first photo!
As Betis is known for woodcarvers, I am guessing there are a lot of intricate carvings inside. Sayang di mo na nakita sa loob!

Anonymous said...

great shots. i love old churches. =) happy ww!

a {GIRL for all status
tales of a pinay single mommy
1716 South
Garage Sale

Robin said...

The outside is certainly classic Baroque, what a shame you weren't able to see the inside.

Marites said...

I like old churches because of their architecture and mostly, of their historical significance. I hope you can post the interior pics of the church soon:)

Maureen Hayes said...

The reason there are entrance fees for these beautiful places it that it costs a fortune to maintain structures that are centuries old. Perhaps the snarky comments would be better off left to another forum? As for the photos and the interesting info included about the church, they are lovely and I appreciate hearing the description since you weren't able to photograph the interior.

Monkey! said...

Looks like a nice day to wander around all that wonder. Happy WW!

Anonymous said...

Entrance fee or not, light a candle, say a prayer or make a wish, greet the patron saint and leave a donation.

Anonymous said...

seldom free.