Thursday, January 13, 2011

Arroz a la Valenciana

@ mirandablue
I know I have to post this sooner or later--so here it is...*drum roll*... Arroz a la Valenciana, a mainstay in our noche buena and media noche spread.  I guess it's an Ilonggo thing.  My mom cooked this for Christmas, then another round of slicing and dicing for the New Year.  My brother took care of the cooking on New Year's eve---I was the official taster and eater only.  Everybody was anticipating this dish, even the neighbors.  Don't get me wrong, I love Valenciana--I just don't get cravings for it.   

I am willing to experiment when it comes to cooking and suggested to use saffron instead of turmeric for a change.  But this is my grandmother's recipe and my mom is a stickler to the "old ways", she didn't want to tweak anything.  She gave in to my tiny suggestion of adding cashew nuts. 

Arroz a la Valenciana is a typical Latin American dish, referred to as a Latin American version of Valencian paella.  Valencian paella has saffron, while the Latin American version has tomato sauce and beer or wine.  The Filipino version has turmeric.  

Valencia is a city in the Iberian Peninsula.


This is linked to Food Friday and Food Trip Friday

25 comments:

genie said...

This looks so yummy. I love Costa Rican food so this looks like it is right up my alley. Would you consider sharing the recipe? The idea of the tumeric instead of the cumin is very interesting. I love rice!

maiylah said...

interesting! hubby's family used to have a similarly prepared dish which they simply call valenciana. it had tomato sauce, chicken, carrots, potatoes, hotdogs, and other stuffs which i couldn't remember much. it tasted ok, but i still reach for plain rice whenever it is served, lol.

 gmirage said...

I think this is the same as Valenciana mhay...we cook this a lot at home too but I guess since every cook differs may slight differences...love paella and this..halo na agad sa kanin ang ulam hehe

warr_shee said...

the food looks great. there is also another version of valenciana was actually made of black ink from squid. it was called arroz negro (the black rice.)
happy ftf!Noobfoodie

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

specialty din yan ng second elder sister ko.:D

Chubskulit Rose said...

I tried that once sis, masarap sya.

Spice Up Your Life

mommy Orkid Belle said...

For some reason, I am not too keen about eating Valenciana. I think it's the turmeric that made me not like it so much. It's strong and can be an acquired taste. Although, I still like to eat just a little bit though. I can't even remember the last time I had some. This one looks really good though!

Adin B

Cecile said...

this is one pinoy foods i haven't tried cooking yet; yummy...maybe it is time to make one :-)

Anonymous said...

used to cook this, too, but then, it was always "palpak", unlike my mom who's specialty is this:)

where's ur province, luna? i live here in nueva ecija...:)

Elaine Yim said...

Looks very delicious! I wanna try it.

lyzacruz88 said...

would love to taste your valenciana :)Thanks for dropping by @ Lyza's Lane

Mariuca said...

Hi Luna! I've never tried this dish but it looks so good, would love to try one day yum! :D

Momgen said...

Wow i like that and miss it. happy FTF!

Mine is here

bonz said...

ohhh... that looks yummy! hmmm... ;)

Anonymous said...

wow this is yummy! my hubby is half ilonggo and we always eat this when we go to his homeplace. Thanks for visiting. Yes, rotee is generally sweet. Some have egg, some have banana.. I just got the ordinary one with sweetened condensed milk.

nuts said...

I am not really familiar about arroz a la Valenciana and how it is being cooked. it looks very yummy!

Anya said...

phew, this is one of those dishes that I dream and wish to do, paglaki ko gagayahin ko yan, hahaha.

Sunshinelene said...

masarap ito sis!

alam mo pag nag fofoodtrip hopping ako i crave for foods in hindi ko agad makain coz i dko rin alam saan ko hagilapin. hehehe

basta i love valenciana!

♥peachkins♥ said...

parang ang sarap-sarap!!!

Newlyweds said...

colorful and exciting sarap nito!

AC said...

wow! this looks so yum! for a rice-eater like me... I will definitely love this!

Hope you can visit my humble Fried Garlic Porkchop. ;)

Clarissa said...

Gosh,napaka colourful ng arroz ala valenciana mo--I could almost taste it from here.Nakuu!Ba't ba kasi nasa ere yan??!!

Enjoy your weekend,LM and thanks for dropping by^_^

Oggi said...

Sarap!

I never knew that about paella a la Valenciana.

agent112778 said...

wow and daming toppings, sarap

heres my Food Trip Friday Entry
heres my Food Friday Entry

Arroz a la Valenciana (Rice Casserole) said...

it looks good... do you have the ingredients?