Monday, August 9, 2010

Chi, the spa [My World-Tuesday]


Ever since Chi opened at the Mactan Shangri-la, I've been dreaming to try one of their massages.  Going to the spa to enjoy sauna, jacuzzi and massage is one of the luxuries that is easily available in the Philippines.  My usual trip to the spa costs P1,000 (or about US$22)---that includes a 20-minute sauna, another 20-minute soak in a Jacuzzi and a 60-minute aromatherapy body massage.  When I travel for work or  pleasure, having a massage at the end of the day is my favorite thing.  In Baguio, Cebu, Davao, Boracay, even in  Sagada, therapists are available at a minimum of P300 an hour, at your hotel room or even by the beach.   

I have tried a couple of spas in Cebu but  my friends there have been raving about their luxurious experience at Chi, the spa at the Mactan Shangri-la Hotel.  The rates are not in any way cheap, but  we needed to be pampered after a long week, so we turned off our cel phones, closed our eyes and  breathed in the experience. 

The interior of Chi is welcoming and luxurious and I loved the scents around me.   After a brief consultation with the receptionist, I opted for the Healing Stone Massage (P6,600 for 2 hours) while the traditional Philippine Hilot (P5,900 for 90 minutes) was recommended to my friend. The garden villa was very private and serene, our therapists were courteous and friendly.  I was a bit apprehensive when warm basalt stones were placed at my back, along the spinal column and below the shoulder blades--a type of thermotherapy.  But as the gliding massage strokes with therapeutic oils started, I thought I died and went to heaven!  The combination of heat and massage eased my aching  joints and muscles, and  was very relaxing--I fell asleep (I hope I didn't snore.:p).

My friend has chronic back pain and the Philippine Hilot really worked for her.  Hilot is a massage technique that has been passed down through generations.  Traditional manghihilot or healers are part of the Filipino culture, and manghihilots of old have ritualized  their healing activity using native animistic beliefs.  At Chi, warmed coconut oil and banana leaves were placed over the body while the healing hands of the therapist identify areas of energy imbalance throughout the body.  My friend swore her back pain has not resurfaced since the hilot.


Chi is a luxurious spa at the Mactan Shangri-la Hotel in Cebu.  I definitely cannot afford frequent visits to this spa, once or twice a year is good enough for me.  For those who want to pamper themselves once in a while, make an appointment when you're in Cebu.  Mactan Shangri-la is at Punta Engano Road in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, telephone nos. (63-32) 2310288.  This is not a paid ad.

  Posted for My World-Tuesday


20 comments:

Sylvia K said...

That sounds so heavenly -- particularly since I've been having back trouble for the past few days! Love your photos as always, it looks like such a peaceful and beautiful place! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

☺lani☺ said...

Wow, I love spa... almost every month I'm having one... but this one is really nice, I would love to pamper myself here one day!

Maya said...

Wow, what a beautiful place to be pampered. Good to hear that you had such a relaxing experience. I used to be good about going for a massage, but haven't tried one since moving to Australia.

Elisa N Viajes said...

I´d like to pass some hours... better some entire day in that spa!

Penelope Notes said...

This spa looks inviting and mysteriously tucked away in a beautiful place. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay there. Life is so much easier when we give ourselves a chance to relax in a serene setting.

VioletSky said...

I'm glad you were able to experince this - it sounds heavenly.
p.s. as a massage therapist myself, I could use one of these treatments, preferably in such luscious surroundings!

dianasfaria.com said...

I think I need to have this done too!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful photos! The spa looks fabulous. We all need a bit of pampering now and then, don't we?

Francisca said...

Luna, you lucky woman! But so am I... one of the fabulous things about living in the Philippines is the easy availability of world class massage therapists. Mine come to my home weekly when I am in town. It's SO sarap! Good post, lovely photos!

Unknown said...

Sounds really nice. I don't usually like massages, but I think I'd like going to Chi.

BraCom said...

very nice photos


Regards, Bram

Seen on My World Tuesday

My World Tuesday Blog

Anonymous said...

I can only ask: why wasn't I there? That sounds so fantastic. And the pictures look very inviting too!
Jossie

Indrani said...

Great lighting in the shots, so well captured.

Gwendolyn L said...

I hope I get a chance to visit your special spa. This is a marvelous blog entry. I could almost smell the scent and feel your words come to life. Thanks so much for the wonderful story and photos.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wow! I want to move there ;>))...that just sounds like heaven.

Anonymous said...

We're the same. Massage, I always justify to myself, is part of the cultural experience when in a different town/country. And yes, even in Sagada, except for that stick thingie that they poke on your fingers and toes. Haha! Looked the price was well worth your while at Chi. Grabe! I'd probably back out upon hearing the price. Knowing that I can get it for P1,000 here in Manila. :-) Great info though, it makes me want to try it when in Cebu.

Photo Cache said...

I'd love to have a hilot therapy one day. It's nice to have incorporated our traditional hilot to the spa treatments.

Very affordable pla relaxation jan. Juice me dito di pa considered fancy eh a dollar per minute massage.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh I am so envious. But, I'm glad you got a chance to enjoy such a treat.

witsandnuts said...

I miss the reasonably priced spa services in the Philippines. Dito sa UAE sobrang mahal. Kaya I rarely try. During my recent trip to Malaysia, I had a foot reflexology. Finally, something not so expensive. :)

Barbara said...

Sounds wonderful, just what I could do with right now with my back problem. Super photos.